Anti waste recipe : BBQ Banana Peel Sandwich
In the United States, Elior chefs are mobilizing to create anti-waste recipes. Discover the recipe of Chef Crystal Watts who won the contest in May.
Ingredients for 1 sandwich
- 2 medium organic bananas YELLOW, firm and not quite ripe
- 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon hot smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- A few splashes of water
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1 bun
- Wash the bananas well.
- Slice the top and bottom off the bananas remove the peels. Scrape the white part off the inside of the peels with a spoon.
- Cut the peel into 2-to 3-inch-long pieces. Transfer to a bowl and add the olive oil, paprika, chili powder, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder and cumin.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and add the shredded banana peels. Add a small splash of water to help them steam and tenderize.
- The cooking time will depend on how ripe your bananas are (the riper they are the faster they cook) so start tasting after a couple of minutes They should be done in around 5 -10 minutes. Add another splash of water and keep cooking if the pan goes dry before they are tender.
- Add the barbecue sauce and give them another 30 seconds to a minute more to incorporate the flavor.
- Add a pinch of salt to taste. Remove from the heat and let cool for a minute.
- Pile the banana peels on your bun and top with your coleslaw. Serve immediately.