Black pig and Tarbes bean casserole
During the 2020 and 2021 sports seasons, Elior chefs will be cooking meals for the professional racing cyclists of the Total Direct Energie team. Discover this recipe which was created especially for, and is based on regional product of the Cazères-Loudenvielle leg.
Ingredients for 6 persons
- 50g of Tarbes beans
- 1 kg of roasted black pork spare ribs
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 25g of butter
- 2 soup spoons of olive oil
- 150ml of chicken broth
- 400g of tomato pulp
- Salt and pepper
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- The night before, soak the beans overnight in plenty of cold water.
- On D-Day, drain the beans, put them in a saucepan, cover them with water and cook them with the thyme and bay leaf.
- Cut the roast into large cubes.
- Heat the oil and butter.
- Brown the pork. Put to the side.
- Sauté the onion and garlic. Then add the beans and pork.
- Add the tomato pulp and chicken broth to moisten. Simmer.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
The recipes for professional cyclists are designed to meet the very strict nutritional criteria to boost the champions’ performance for each leg of the race. The Cazères-Loudenvielle leg involves cycling 140 km in one stretch. Exerting a muscular effort, degrades our muscles. In this dish, the meat proteins help to rebuild the cyclists’ muscle mass and the dried beans provide good potassium content which helps synthesize the proteins in the body.