Vegan recipe : Coriander Falafel Hash with Fattoush Salad & Pomegranate Molasses
Discover this delicious vegan recipe from Elior team in the UK.
Main dish - Ingredient for 4 persons
- 500g of new potatoes
- 400g of sweet potatoes (peeled & diced)
- 200g of red onions (peeled)
- 30ml of olive oil
- 150g of canned chickpeas (drained)
- 20g of garlic puree
- 5g of zaatar spice
- 10g of fresh mint (washed & picked)
- 15g of pistachio kernels
- 25g of pomegranate seeds (roughly chopped)
- 80g of vegan plain yoghurt
- 20ml of pomegranate molasses
Ingredients for the falafels
- 125g of dried chick-peas
- 10g of garlic puree
- 50g of fresh coriander (washed & coarsely chopped including stalks)
- 5g of green chilli (roughly chopped)
- 30g of plain flour
- 4g of baking powder
- 10ml of lemon juice
- 5g of ground coriander
- 150 ml of sunflower oil
Ingredients for the Fattoush salad
- 200g of cos lettuce (washed, trimmed & torn into even pieces)
- 200g of cucumber (washed & diced)
- 200g of tomatoes (washed & diced)
- 75g of radish (washed & diced)
- 75g of red onion (peeled & sliced)
- 125g of green pepper (washed, trimmed & diced)
- 10g of flat leaf parsley (washed & coarsely chopped)
- 10g of fresh mint (washed & coarsely chopped)
- 20ml of olive oil
- 10ml of lemon juice
- ½ ea of white pitta bread
- 2g of ground sumac
- Please note the preparation of the coriander falafels needs to be started the day before serving.
- Steam the new potatoes & diced sweet potatoes for approx. 5-8 minutes until part cooked. Allow to cool. Cut the red onions into wedges, through the root, mix with the par-cooked potatoes, garlic puree, drained chickpeas, pomace oil & zaatar spice mixture, ensuring everything is well coated in the oil.Place into suitable trays and roast in an oven set at 200c for approx. 20 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through, remove from the oven and gently crush the potatoes mix well and return to the oven for a further 10 minutes. Keep hot for service.
- Cook the coriander falafels as per the sub recipe, drain and keep warm.Divide the potato & chickpea mixture evenly into the base of a bowl and top this with 3 of the coriander falafels. Spoon over the vegan Yoghurt & pomegranate molasses.Garnish with the chopped pistachio, picked mint leaves.
- Make up the Fattoush salad as per the separate recipe sheet and serve alongside the main dish.
- Soak the chickpeas in plenty of water overnight in the fridge
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas then puree with the green chillies and coriander.Mix the pureed mixture with the garlic puree, ground coriander, baking powder, flour and salt. Shape the mixture into approx. 35g balls and lightly flatten.
- Preheat a deep fat fryer to 160 celicius. Fry the falafel until golden brown and cooked in the middle these will take approximately 4- 5 minutes.
Fattoush Salad recipe
- Cut the pitta bread into 1cm dice, place onto a tray and drizzle with HALF of the olive oil bake in the oven until crisp, remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Gently mix the lettuce, cucumber, peppers, red onion, tomato and radish together then add the chopped herbs, remaining olive oil and lemon juice and toss again.
- Place into a suitable serving bowl and garnish with the toasted pitta bread croutons and sumac